Agricultural storage capacity stands at 176.3 million metric tones in the 2nd half of 2020

June 10, 2021 09h00 AM | Last Updated: June 11, 2021 10h14 AM

In the 2nd half of 2020, the available storage capacity in Brazil was 176.3 million tones, 0.1% less than the previous half.

The number of establishments remained stable, at 7.9 thousand. Among the regions, only the Southeast and the South had declines (-0.1%, both), with the other regions remaining stable.

Rio Grande do Sul has the largest number of storage establishments (1923) and Mato Grosso the largest capacity (43.6 million tones).

Silos predominate in the country, with the capacity to store 87.3 million tones in the second half of 2020, or 49.5% of the country's capacity. Compared to the first half of 2020, there was an increase of 0.6% in this capacity.

The inventory of agricultural products totaled 28.0 million tones on December 31, 2020, an increase of 5.7% compared to December 31, 2019. Among the five main agricultural products, corn inventories represented the largest volume (14 million tones), followed by stocks of wheat (4.6 million), soybeans (4.2 million), rice (1.6 million) and coffee (1.3 million). Compared to December 31, 2019, there were increases in the stocks of corn (18%), wheat (12.3%) and coffee (28%), while soybeans (-23.7%) and rice (-4. 3%) had falls. Together, these products represent 92.2% of the total stocked products. The remaining 7.8% is composed of cotton, black beans, colored beans and other grains and seeds.

Silos present an increase of 0.6% and represent 49.5% of the total storage capacity

The Survey of Stocks for the second half of 2020 showed a 0.1% reduction in the storage capacity available in Brazil, which totals 176.3 million metric tones in active establishments in the survey. Silos predominate in the country, having reached 87.3 million metric tones in the second half of 2020, or 49.5% of the total storage capacity. Compared to the first half of 2020, silos' capacity grew by 0.6%.

In addition, it is worth mentioning automated and bulk warehouses, which reached 66.1 million metric tones of storage capacity, 0.6% lower than in the previous period and accounting for 37.5% of national storage.

Conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses totaled 22.9 million metric tones, a decrease of 1.6% compared to the first half of 2020. They are equivalent to 13% of the total storage capacity.

By region, silos predominate in the South, accounting for 61.7% of the region's storage capacity and 49.8% of the country's total silo capacity. One of the important factors for this result was the preference of the establishment's owners and managers for facilities with greater operational flexibility.

The “automated and bulk” type appears with greater intensity in the Central-West, with 53.4% ​​of the region's capacity and 55.6% of the total capacity. This region has the largest share of national grain production.

Conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses predominate in the South (35.3%), followed by the Southeast (31.1%), the main coffee producing region, a product that is stored in sacks and that uses this type of warehouse.

Together, the South and Center-West regions account for 66.4% of the total capacity of conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses in the country.

South and Southeast had a 0.1% reduction in the number of establishments

With 7,900 active establishments in the second half of 2020, the Survey of Stocks remained stable and practically did not change when compared to the first half of 2020. Only the Southeast and South regions had drops in this index, both of 0.1% each . The other regions maintained their number of establishments.

Rio Grande do Sul has the largest number of storage establishments (1923), followed by Mato Grosso (1,376) and Paraná (1,325).

Mato Grosso has the largest storage capacity in the country, with 43.6 million metric tones. Of this total, 58.8% are of the bulk type and 34.0% are silos. Rio Grande do Sul and Paraná have 32.7 and 32.1 million metric tons of capacity, respectively, and the silo is the predominant type of warehouse in these states.

Corn, wheat and coffee are up in inventories; soybean and rice showed declines

The stock of agricultural products totaled 28.0 million metric tones, an increase of 5.7% compared to December 31, 2019. Among the top five agricultural products in storage facilites on December 31, 2020, corn stocks represented the highest volume (14.0 million metric tones), followed by wheat (4.6 million), soybeans (4.2 million), rice (1.6 million) and coffee (1.3 million).

Together, these products represent 92.2% of the total inventory among the products monitored by the survey, with the remaining 7.8% being made up of cotton, black beans, colored beans and other grains and seeds. Maize (18.0%), wheat (12.3%) and coffee (28.0%) had increase in their stocks, while soybeans (-23.7%) and rice (-4.3% ) showed falls.