Agricultural storage capacity stays at 176.5 million tonnes in first semester of 2020
November 10, 2020 09h00 AM | Last Updated: November 11, 2020 01h06 PM
The available capacity for storage in Brazil was of 176.5 million tonnes in the first semester of 2020, 0.7% smaller than the previous semester. The number of establishments fell 0.5% in relation to the second semester of 2019. Rio Grande do Sul had the highest number of storage establishments (1,920) and Mato Grosso, the largest capacity (43.8 million tonnes). The stock of agricultural products added up to 52.9 million tonnes, a drop of 17.0%% against the 63.7 million tonnes stocked on June 30, 2019. When compared with June 30, 2019, all the products reduced their stocks, being corn (-28.1%) and coffee (-23.0%) the most expressive ones. Soybeans (30.8 million tonnes) registered the highest volume stocked, followed by corn (13.3 million), rice (4.1 million), wheat (1.9 million) and coffee (839.4 thousand). These products comprised 96.2% of the total stocked among the products surveyed. Please consult the support material for more information.
Silos still prevail with rise of 0.2% and 86.8 million tonnes
The Survey of Stocks unveiled a reduction of 0.7% in the storage capacity available in Brazil in the first semester of 2020. The total was of 176.5 million tonnes in active establishments in the survey. In terms of storage capacity, silos prevailed in Brazil, having reached 86.8 million tonnes in the first semester of 2020, which represented 49.1% of the total storage capacity. The storage capacity of silos increased 0.2% in relation to the second semester of 2019.
They were followed by automated and bulk warehouses, which hit 66.5 million tonnes of storage capacity, 0.3% below the capacity registered in the previous period. This type of storage accounted for 37.7% of the national storage. Conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses added up to 23.3 million tonnes, which represented a drop of 4.8% in relation to the second semester of 2019. These warehouses contributed with 13.2% of the total storage capacity.
Silos prevailed in the South Region, accounting for 61.2% of the storage capacity in the region and for 49.7% of the total capacity of silos in Brazil. Automated and bulk warehouses appeared more in the Central-West, with 53.2% of the storage capacity in the region and 55.3% of the total capacity. Conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses prevailed in the South Region (34.5%), closely followed by the Southeast Region (31.7%), the major producer of coffee. These two regions together accounted for 66.2% of the total capacity of conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses in Brazil.
The South Region was the only to increase the number of active establishments
Counting with 7,903 active establishments in the first semester of 2020, the Survey of Stocks showed a drop of 0.5% in the number of establishments compared with the second semester of 2019. In the first semester of 2020, only the South Region increased the number of active establishments (0.3%). The North, Northeast, Southeast and Central-West recorded drops of 0.9%, 1.9%, 1.8% and 0.6%, respectively.
Rio Grande do Sul has the largest number of storage establishments (1,920), followed by Mato Grosso with 1,380 and Paraná with 1, 322 units. Having registered 43.8 million tonnes, Mato Grosso had the largest stocking capacity in Brazil. Of this total, 58.6% were bulk warehouses and 33.9%, silos. Paraná and Rio Grande do Sul had 32.6 and 32.4 million tonnes of capacity, respectively, being silo the type of warehouse prevailing in these states.
All the products recorded a drop in their stocks.
The stock of agricultural products added up to 52.9 million tonnes, a drop of 17.0% over the 63.7 million tonnes on June 30, 2019. Concerning the major agricultural products investigated by the survey, all of them recorded a drop in their stocks over June 30, 2019, being corn (-28.1%) and coffee (-23.0%) the most significant ones.
Soybeans represented the largest stocked volume (30.8 million tonnes) followed by the corn stocks (13.3 million), rice (4.1 million), wheat (1.9 million) and coffee (839.4 thousand). These products comprise 96.2% of the total stocked among the products surveyed.
|FU||Number of establishments||Capacity (t)|
|Total||Conventional (1)||Bulk warehouse||Silo|
|Source: IBGE, Diretoria de Pesquisas, Coordenação de Agropecuária, Pesquisa de Estoques, 1º semestre de 2020. Note: (1) the capacity of the conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses was converted in the proportion of 0.6 t/m³|