Agricultural storage capacity stays at 169.5 million tonnes in second semester of 2018

June 11, 2019 09h00 AM | Last Updated: June 13, 2019 11h03 AM

The total storage capacity available in Brazil in active establishments in the Survey of Stocks was of 169.5 million tonnes in the second semester of 2018, a result 0.3% above that of the previous semester. Having registered 39.8 million tonnes, Mato Grosso had the largest stocking capacity. The stock of agricultural products added up to 24.2 million tonnes, a reduction of 5.0 million tonnes against 29.2 million tonnes stocked in the second semester of 2017. Among the agricultural products, corn had the largest volume stocked (11.1 million tonnes), followed by soybeans (5.5 million), wheat (4.2 million), rice (2.2 million) and coffee (1.3 million).

Please consult the support material for more information.

With 81.8 million tonnes, silos prevail in warehouse network

Having reached 81.8 million tonnes in the second semester of 2018, silos prevailed in terms of storage capacity, accounting for 48.3% of the total storage capacity. The silo capacity increased 0.9% over the previous semester. They were followed by automated and bulk warehouses, which accounted for 37.6% of the national storage and hit 63.7 million tonnes of storage capacity, an increase of 0.2%. Conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses added up to 24.0 million tonnes, which represented a drop of 1.4% in relation to the first semester of 2018.

With 7,789 active establishments in the second semester of 2018, they rose 0.7% in relation to the previous semester. In the second semester of 2018, the number of active establishments of the North and Central-West Regions increased 0.9% and 3.4%, respectively, whereas the Northeast and Southeast Regions dropped 2.4% and 0.3%.

Stocks of corn and soybeans fall, wheat and rice rise

The stocks of wheat (9.0%), rice (3.7%) and coffee (31.9%) increased in relation to the second semester of 2017. On the other hand, corn and soybeans dropped 19.3% and 35.6%, respectively.

Corn represented the largest stocked volume (11.1 million tonnes) followed by soybeans stocks (5.5 million), wheat (4.2 million), rice (2.2 million) and coffee (1.3 million). These products accounted for 92.4% of the stocked grains among the products monitored by this survey, being the remaining 7.6% comprised of cotton, black beans, colored beans and other grains and seeds.

Number of establishments and storage capacity installed, by type,
according to the Federation Units - Brazil - H2 2018

UF Number of Establishments Capacity (t)
Total Conventional (1) Automated Silo
BRAZIL 7,789 169,469,182 23,960,569 63,681,754 81,826,859
RO 26 310,234 86,974 134,300 88,960
AC 14 38,124 15,434 - 22,690
AM 10 352,162 25,140 300,000 27,022
RR 6 90,860 12,110 - 78,750
PA 70 1,114,236 172,126 91,810 850,300
AP 10 128,168 66,168 - 62,000
TO 87 2,163,133 363,288 619,640 1,180,205
MA 61 2,143,146 78,853 1,600,250 464,043
PI 110 2,351,656 264,675 807,382 1,279,599
CE 80 1,038,542 636,535 79,400 322,607
RN 14 100,109 100,109 - -
PB 13 240,228 105,698 2,480 132,050
PE 28 409,802 160,472 40 249,290
AL 6 55,004 17,504 3,000 34,500
SE 10 94,128 31,688 16,440 46,000
BA 163 4,025,758 497,812 1,858,304 1,669,642
MG 487 8,560,301 3,607,507 1,617,228 3,335,566
ES 76 1,257,181 687,107 442,050 128,024
RJ 23 342,516 216,570 12,333 113,613
SP 676 11,498,011 3,905,875 2,304,706 5,287,430
PR 1,315 31,275,556 3,866,152 10,110,681 17,298,723
SC 324 5,312,320 588,502 1,013,264 3,710,554
RS 1,925 31,797,275 3,064,261 8,083,783 20,649,231
MS 480 10,074,143 514,619 3,669,384 5,890,140
MT 1,238 39,789,052 3,425,582 22,964,155 13,399,315
GO 515 14,421,915 1,101,646 7,921,344 5,398,925
DF 22 485,622 348,162 29,780 107,68

Source: IBGE, Diretoria de Pesquisas, Coordenação de Agropecuária, Pesquisa de Estoques, 2º semestre de 2018.
Note: (1) the capacity of the conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses was converted in the proportion of 0.6 t/m³