Grain storage capacity stands at 169 million metric tons in the 1st semester of 2018

November 08, 2018 09h00 AM | Last Updated: November 08, 2018 05h51 PM

The total storage capacity available in Brazil in the first half of 2018, in active establishments in the survey, was 169.0 million metric tons, a result 1.2% higher than that of the second half of 2017 (167.0 million metric tons). Mato Grosso showed the biggest storage capacity, with 40.2 million metric tons. Agricultural inventories totaled 58.3 million metric tons, down 0.4 million metric tons against the 58.7 million metric tons in the first half of 2017. Among agricultural products, the largest stock was soybeans (37.0 million metric tons ), followed by corn (10.7 million), rice (4.9 million), wheat (2.0 million) and coffee (762.0 thousand metric tons).

With 81.1 million metric tons, silos prevail in storage network

In terms of storage capacity, silos predominated, reaching 81.1 million metric tons in the first half of 2018, corresponding to 48.0% of total storage capacity. In relation to the previous semester, the silos increased by 3.0%. Then, automated and bulk warehouses, responsible for 37.6% of the national storage, reached 63.6 million metric tons of storage capacity, presenting growth of 0.8%. Conventional, structural and inflatable warehouses totaled 24.3 million metric tons, a decrease of 3.3% compared to the second half of 2017.

FU NUMBER OF ESTABLISHMENTS CAPACITY (1000 T) 
CONVENTIONAL (1) BULK SILO  TOTAL  
BRAZIL 7733 24,291.535 63,579.628 81,137.068 169,008.231 
RO 26 86.974 134.300 77.260 298.534 
AC 14 15.434 - 22.690 38.124 
AM 13 31.908 300.000 32.385 364.293 
RR 6 12.110 - 78.750 90.860 
PA 67 145.126 91.810 827.300 1,064.236 
AP 10 66.168 - 62.000 128.168 
TO 85 360.288 656.100 1,175.165 2,191.553 
MA 57 67.603 1,612.750 448.403 2,128.756 
PI 111 274.907 807.382 1,229.059 2,311.348 
CE 85 638.292 79.400 317.001 1,034.693 
RN 17 114.404 - - 114.404 
PB 13 103.418 2.480 132.050 237.948 
PE 29 117.032 0.040 219.310 336.382 
AL 6 17.504 3.000 34.500 55.004 
SE 10 31.688 16.440 46.000 94.128 
BA 169 492.521 2,003.454 1,687.512 4,183.487 
MG 503 3,706.234 1,572.929 3,294.593 8,573.756 
ES 76 701.177 451.050 119.024 1,271.251 
RJ 21 216.570 12.333 110.313 339.216 
SP 662 3,878.293 2,307.038 5,086.388 11,271.719 
PR 1315 3,875.030 10,150.721 17,033.739 31,059.490 
SC 318 608.242 1,033.664 3,677.304 5,319.210 
RS 1940 3,132.886 8,061.638 20,849.729 32,044.253 
MS 461 525.695 3,670.587 5,680.652 9,876.934 
MT 1202 3,418.774 23,022.748 13,762.356 40,203.878 
GO 495 1,305.094 7,559.984 5,025.905 13,890.983 
FD 22 348.162 29.780 107.680 485.622 
Source: IBGE. Diretoria de Pesquisas. Coordenação de Agropecuária. Pesquisa de Estoques. 1st semester of 2018,
Note: (1) The storage capacity of conventional. structural and inflatable warehouses was converted in the proportion of 0,6t/m3

With 7,733 active establishments in the first half of 2018, the Survey of Stocks showed a decrease of 0.5% when compared to the survey of the second half of 2017. In the first half of 2018, the Central-West Region was the only one that had a small increase in the number of active establishments (0.1%), while the Southeast Region had the largest drop (2.4%).

Stocks of soybeans and rice up; corn down

Compared to the first half of 2017, soybean and rice stocks presented growth of 6.0% and 0.5%, respectively, while corn declined 17.7%. Soybean stocks accounted for the largest volume (37.0 million metric tons), followed by corn (10.7 million), rice (4.9 million), wheat (2.0 million) and coffee (762.0 thousand metric tons). Those products corresponded to 94.9% of the total grains stored among the products monitored by the survey. The remaining 5.1% was composed of cotton, black beans, other beans and other grains and seeds.